Job Description Physician Assistant – Sleep Medicine
Job Title: Physician Assistant – Sleep Medicine Status:
Full-Time Purpose of the Position: The Physician Assistant (PA) in the KSC Sleep Medicine department is accountable for adhering to established policies and standards of care/standards of practice in evaluating, tracking, and following up on sleep disorder patient care. The PA works in collaboration with healthcare professionals to improve the quality of care delivered to patients in the Sleep Center and other KSC clinics under the general supervision of the facility director or designee to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This may involve therapeutic services, insomnia counseling, patient care and education
- Performs comprehensive histories and physical exams, identifies normal and abnormal findings, including physical, cognitive and psychosocial status regarding the testing procedure, pertinent medical/social history, and to determine final testing parameters/procedures in conjunction with the ordering physician or clinical director and sleep center protocols.
- Complete and verify documentation.
- Explain pre-testing, testing, and post-testing procedures to the patient.
- Develops pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical treatment plans.
- Monitors effectiveness of plan of care.
- Educates patients on disease and treatment plans.
- Performs procedures as trained and appropriately credentialed.
- Documents within the EPIC Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and completes other necessary documents.
- Collaborates and/or consults with physicians and other health care providers as appropriate.
- Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding sleep disorders and treatment options, other current health problems, health maintenance activities and preventive behaviors.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care teams in diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to pulmonary and sleep medicine.
- Writes accurate and timely progress notes, procedure notes, and/or admission and transfer orders.
- Order, perform, and interpret screening and diagnostic procedures and tests, and appropriately communicates and documents information
- Privileged to perform procedures beyond core as identified by the Pulmonary Critical Care services.
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the continuum of care.
- Attend required training and meets key regulatory requirements, including those of the KSC, any privileging institution, CMS, and AAAHC.
- Evaluates quality outcomes for the patients receiving care of this team through participation in the development of quality indicators and outcomes dashboard.
- Acquires information on the most current development and trends in the Physician Assistant field and/or Nurse Practitioner field, through educational programs, in-services, professional associates, and current literature.
- Provide care to general sleep medicine and pulmonary patients in an outpatient setting Maintain at least ten clinic half days per week in the Pulmonary Clini
- Order pulmonary function tests, sleep studies and other necessary lab and diagnostic tests; Follow-up with patients regarding test results.
- Assist in recruitment and consent of clinical research subjects when necessary.
- Implement and facilitate an Insomnia management program.
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and standards regarding safety and infection control issues.
- Perform routine and complex equipment care and maintenance.
- Evaluate sleep study related equipment.
- Respond to study participant’s procedural-related inquiries by providing appropriate information.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze complex situations and apply policy.
- Utilizes all software and data management systems, including Encore Anywhere
- Communicates with providers about patient status following tests and treatment indicated. Communicate with vendors to ensure timely delivery of equipment and supplies. Communicate with SMS regarding insurance or UR issues. Ensure all information is current and accurate in database
- Provides education to patients as needed for sleep study process and equipment. Is available as a resource for staff at KSC Sleep Center and satellite locations.
- Data base maintenance and information coordination. Document outcome data from every episode of care for each patient.
- Licensed to practice in state of Texas
- Physician Assistant: NCCPA-Certified. Current prescriptive authority
- DEA license
- Controlled Substance Certification
- BCLS, ACLS
- Experience in clinical patient care and interest in sleep medicine in an outpatient setting
- Meetings/Training: Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings and training
- Demonstrate effective written and spoken communication skills
- Demonstrate appropriate social skills