Synergy Radiology Associates, the largest hospital based radiology group in the Houston area, has an opening for a Physician Assistant to work with our Interventional Radiologists in the Houston area.
This is a day position Monday – Friday from 8am – 4pm with no call responsibilities. Attractive salary and benefit package is available.
Candidates must work well with the radiologists, staff and patients.
Interventional Radiology (IR) Patient Clinical Assessment, Documentation and Management
· Completes H&P and pre-procedure assessments specific to the IR procedure. Performs sedation assessment, relevant to institutional/departmental policies, including ASA scoring, airway classification, ECOG scoring, medication management and medical referrals.
· Orders and interprets pertinent laboratory and diagnostic studies/imaging.
· Prescribes medications, determines pre, intra, and post procedure medical management and writes orders within their licensed scope of practice.
· Assesses pre-procedure medical management issues such as, Peri-procedural Hypertension/Hypotension, Fluids/Electrolytes imbalances (Critical Values), and Unmanaged Diabetes (Insulin Pump, Metformin Management, Hyper/Hypoglycemia).
· The IR PA is expected to formulate a management plan with the IR physician and primary team regarding all aspects of peri-procedural management.
· Demonstrates ability to triage cases appropriately.
· Provides clear written and verbal communication.
Patient Education, Post-procedure Follow-up, and Longitudinal Care
· Provides detailed procedure education, including specific procedure risks, benefits, alternatives and expected outcomes.
· Participates in the informed consent process per institutional policy. Manages post-procedure care for both outpatients and inpatients to identify any medical management issues, assess for immediate complications and/or identify sedation related events.
· Assesses outpatient candidates for discharge, and evaluates extended recovery patients as required.
· Inpatient rounding will be performed based on assignment; assessment of inpatients includes catheter evaluation and post procedure management of complications and patient education.
· Outpatient post-procedure longitudinal efforts include coordinating with primary service for subsequent procedures, arranging repeat imaging/labs and establishing follow-up schedule/expectations. Phone and/or in person evaluations are performed to assess for complications, rate/record any adverse events, and ensure appropriate follow-up course is completed.
IR Procedure Knowledge & Participation
· Possesses basic knowledge of IR procedure flow in both inpatient and outpatient areas.
· Understands the indications for IR procedures, how the procedure is performed, and the specific pre-procedure work-up, risks, and follow-up expectations.
· Participates in interventional procedures, performing minor procedures with physician supervision. This will require above average manual dexterity for the use of catheters, guide-wires, syringes and needles to assist in biopsies, fluid/organ drainage, angiograms, and vascular interventional procedures.
· The knowledge of sterile techniques will be essential for proper patient preparation.
Required: Graduate of a Physician Assistant training program approved by the Texas Medical Board.
Preferred: Prior procedure experience strongly preferred.
LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
Required: PA certification
Licensed by the Texas Medical Board
MAY BE REQUIRED: Eligible to be granted limited prescriptive authority by the State of Texas.
Job Type: Full-time